Saturday 9 April 2011

As Of Today This Is Facts

So just a quick update as to what’s going on in the Henry School
I did an ace little gig with Copasetics (http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/copasetics) and Red Mercury (http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/redmercuryuk) both doing acoustic sets over in Leeds for my good mates in Leeds Union Punk & Ska Soc.  Stuck to the louder, political poems and seemed to go down well with the friendly crowd.  My reworking of Evan Greer’s Go Call Fema (I’ve dubbed Go Call EMA) got the best response yet.  I got everyone to scribble their favourite lyrics on a sheet of paper and it broke up the night nicely.  An had a few free drinks which is always lovely.
I’ve been confirmed to be doing some stuff for the acoustic stage at Strummercamp, Manchester, at the end of May, more details to follow but I’m super excited and already planning.
Also, if you don’t already know, I first performed poetry ever in the history of ever at the Big Youth Theatre Festival 2007.  That was hosted by the National Association of Youth Theatres who I also work for as a Sector Development Associate (flashy).  But we’re in deep financial trouble, you can read more info here but please sign the petition and do what you can to support NAYT and the good work it does:  http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/event.php?eid=193992633971675

I’ve never been the biggest know-all about Arts Council funding, but it’s always been quite disproportionate I’ve found.  Bureaucracy seems a means of deciding how to fund non-bureaucracy causes and projects.  I think the system needs a decent rattle, a shake-up, but the big enemy is, of course, the ConDems.  I hate always coming back to the same old enemy and the same old rant and the same old rhetoric but at the end of the day you have to ask how they can afford to flood money into bombing Libya and sending troops t Afghanistan but can’t afford to support young people doing life-enriching things like theatre and performance that change your life, and change you.  Unlike the ConDems who aren’t changing people, they’re keeping us static.
Rant rant rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment