Monday 8 April 2019

Three NaPoWriMo poems

NaPoWriMo is the national poetry-writing month.
Participants try and write a poem-a-day.
I had some busy days (and some naff days) so have managed three new poems so far.
All untitled, all fresh, all need work, all here in this blog

Motorway stretches thinly onwards into darkness
Repetition like black and white cartoon loop.
Just point the wheels in the right direction
Keep my foot where it belongs
And count down the seconds.
Across the country
Packages and parcels and produce
Totalled and transported.
Ambulances ignite and illuminate streets
A bleak blue.
Late-working lovers return, party-goers get going
Sleepy key-fumbling.
I trust in the deep red speakers on the passenger seat
Dispatch carefully curated podcasts and playlists.
The world breathes past at 70 miles per hour.
The Google Maps app ticks.
How did it get so late,
And who is over-taking me?


To get to either of my jobs
Or the centre of town in general
I walk past a Model Shop.
I’ve been in this shop
Plenty of times for brushes
And paints and flocks.
But I’ll admit, these many times
Were many years ago.
It’s unchanged in stock
Presenting twee railway
In 1.76 gauge.
Window-rammed with
Cars and toy soldiers
Measured in millimeters.
Glued-up Spitfires and Bombers
Drone above plastic fields of
railways and trains.
Scenes affixed from
Memories of Britain
In Penguin books.
A reminder of consistency
In hobbycraft and
Nostalgic pursuits.
Seems so English
(or British)
Like bowlers and suits.
As I often dash
Late for a shift
Or stride home
Post-work
I try and snatch
A new fact from the window.
A new name or detail
Colour or brand
As an excuse to keep my
Phone in my pocket.


I have faith.
I have faith that when I press the traffic light button, it will work.
The red ring will illuminate, or the WAIT decree will shine.
The municipal system will be enacted, Green becomes Yellow
And when the Red light halts wheels, Green Men invite
And we will cross the road safely, you and I.
Trust me.
Have you no faith
That I pressed the button?
Have you no faith
That the uppercase WAIT assurance shows
That the request works?
Have you no faith
So you must press the button as well, add nothing
Waste your finger?
Have faith.
I pressed the button.

The traffic crossing is working.

No comments:

Post a Comment