Monday 9 June 2014

The People's Poet

In my post-tour bluesy dozy state, I just wanted to add my love and respect to Rik Mayall

I’m going to write a comprehensive blog, but suffice to say I’ve just gigged in Birmingham, Norwich, Bristol & Brighton and come across very diverse and exciting punk scenes, from Birmingham’s lovely gang of queer/nerdy/vegan punks into friendship & well-being, to the punk rock ‘n’ roll inclusive venue of the Owl Sanctuary to the unplugged let’s-do-the-show-right-here of Brighton to the bouncing-off-the-ceiling-punk-as-fcUK-ragga-ska-madcappery of Bristol’s Roomtown Fair.

During this trip, I thought about what ‘punk’ poetry means, and managed to see the very ace Jenn Hart who has a superb poem, I Am about those narrow definitions of punk culture on art and identity.



Rik’s Young One’s character is a constant reminder to check out pompousness within political scenes, to check out ‘radicalism’ and, most importantly, to laugh at ourselves as performers.  Punk is manic and madcap and a bit weird but, importantly, it’s theatrical.  He conquers the audience with his presence, something I always strive for in performance to totally pin down the attention.

I talk about Rik in my podcast on the history of punk poetry, you can listen here

Thanks People’s Poet

THATCHER!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment